Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Using Space

I am looking for a magazine for my project 4--a category of rose. I am a rose lover. Five years ago, I planted a bush rose in my front yard, and now it's already grown into a rose tree, which is about five feet and six inches high. The clusters of rose which have velvet-like red petals make a delight in a small garden.

After comparing different publications related to horticulture, I chose <<Garden Gate>> as my magazine. It has a nice page layout that categorizes various plants clearly and logically. I noticed that how they classified the content using white space, a spacious room that makes the pictures stand out and attract the audience to go through the text readily.

According to Richard Saul Wurman, the author of "LATCH: The Five Ultimate Hatrack", we need to pay attention to the space between the things. It is more crucial than objects themselves. Actually, the opposites between them make me understand the information clearly.



2 comments:

  1. I like that they offer both an illustration and a photo for each plant. Sometimes a reader has a preference for one or the other in this type of magazine, so it's nice that they offer both. Very attractive layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the illustrations next to photos as well. I think you'll do well on this project! good choice.

    ReplyDelete